Tragedy renders the monster human.
Williams' 5th full length release is decidedly his most eclectic.
Largely inspired by the grief and futility following the illness and death of his girlfriend, the album veers from somber piano ballads to nostalgic pop to at least one grandiose epic with virtuoso live drums, odd time signatures and dissonant tone clusters (while still remaining catchy!) .
Longtime cohort Jerome Deppe gets the longest guitar solo of his career as well as his VERY FIRST harmonica solo (in the deceptively titled hoedown "Kill Yourself in Cape May").
There are also 4 cover tunes and a witty Zevonesque take on the life of Idi Amin.
A local and national cast of musical luminaries fleshes out the sound of David at his most organic and confessional.
Go here for Williams video on one of his new songs :
1. Ich Hatt’ Einen Kameraden
2. Save a Chair for Jennifer
3. Here Comes the Cold Narrator
4. Haiku, Interrupted
5. Do I Love You as Much as I Did When You Weren’t Sick?
6. Séance Gossip (Gossip Séance)
7. Kill Yourself in Cape May
8. Petals Open, Quickly Close, Cops Say
9. Hymn to the Genius of Idi Amin
10. Relentless and Unrelenting
12. Suicide Bomb
13. Summer Wasn’t Made for You and Me
14. The Unconscious is Cold
15. Hello, Young Lovers
16. Their Paper Cranes Ablaze
17. Closing Suite for My Deceased
Old Europa Cafe AVS